CRUE Portugal — What it is and How to Get it

Amy Trumpeter
3 min readApr 3, 2021
CRUE Portugal

This article published on Medium contains Amazon affiliate links and links to other relevant affiliate partners. These links do not cost you anything to use and help us to get this information to you for free.

You’ve heard of the CRUE Portugal issues to EU residents and are probably wanting to know exactly what it is and how to get it. Well the CRUE is one of the most important documents you will hold as an Expat in Portugal if you are an EU passport holder.

What is CRUE and what does CRUE Stand for?

Well, the CRUE is the Certificado de Registo de Cidadão da União Europeia (or CRUE for short). If you are an EU citizen, this is your avenue to getting residency in Portugal for 5 years, after which you can apply for a permanent residency permit. You will be pleased to know that this is quite straight forward.

CRUE Portugal — How to get it

You will need to head to your local Camara (Municipal Town Hall) with your passport, NIF number and proof of address. Make sure that it is the Camara closest to or in the district of your residential address. For example, if you are in Montijo don’t go to the Lisbon CRUE office, go to the Montijo town hall.

I managed to apply online and then get a 15 minute appointment at: Quiosque Europeu — Loja Cidadão Saldanha — Mercado 31 de Janeiro, 1º andar — Rua Engenheiro Vieira da Silva (Loja de Cidadão do Saldanha) | 1050–094 Lisboa

This one is easy to get to in Lisbon — head to Saldanha Metro station.

Officially you should be able to get your CRUE with your passport, proof of address and NIF. This is all I needed to show. I was also asked to describe how to get to my apartment (on the left or the right) and for my Potuguese phone number. She also asked me my education level but not to prove my qualification.

Other Documents you May be asked for at your CRUE Portugal Appointment

However, depending on the Camara and the person you speak to, there are reports of different things that you may need which could include….

  • Attestado de Residencia (an official signed testimony by a…



Amy Trumpeter

Hi I’m Amy — travel blogger, dog lover, digital marketer. I write mainly about Europe, Middle East and Southeast Asia. Getting into drones!