This article published on Medium contains Amazon affiliate links and links to other relevant affiliate partners. These links do not cost you anything to use and help us to get this information to you for free.
A flirt pole for dogs is a long pole with some rope attached and a toy or tug rope secured to the end. Think circus whip or horse lunge whip. You can easily make your own from a broom handle or some stiff pipe and some rope with a toy tied on securely. Alternatively, the easier option is to go to Amazon and have a look there.
They make a useful tool for training and actually give your terrier a good exercise and brain workout all in one by utilizing his/her natural prey drive.
There are at least a couple of reasons why you may want to consider using a flirt pole with your Patterdale terrier or any terrier.
- If you want to race your terrier, you will have to make sure that he/she will follow a lure. To get the terrier interested in the lure it has to be made into a fun game, and this is where the flirt pole comes into play (pardon the pun!).
- Frequently, your terrier will already have a strong prey drive; you can still use the flirt pole to good effect for exercise and training.
- Let’s say your terrier is reactionary; you can tire them out with a flirt pole before going for a walk, making them more receptive and easier to train.
How to use a Flirt Pole Safely
Here’s how to use a flirt pole to help with both of these and to do so safely.
First, the safety points when using a flirt pole for dogs:
- If creating a homemade flirt pole, secure the toy onto the end very well. Terriers are known for their determination to hold on, so you don’t want the toy falling off.
- The pole needs to be a length that is comfortable for the person. Too long and there will be a lack of control. Too short and the dog won’t get as much benefit.
- Too short and there is a chance you could accidentally get bitten.
- Your terrier must already know basic commands…